Monday, July 13, 2009

What has Mel been up to?

I know... I have not posted in awhile - the blog has been dominated by Matt. Well, I've been busy - in addition to my usual scholastic and professional activities, I've been working on some other 'projects'.

1. Gym - I finally joined a new gym. And I love it. I was asked to make some fitness goals... and then I was told that my goals were not original enough - not even my push-up and pull-up aspirations. So, here goes... I want to be able to carry my own weight when it comes to SCUBA. And I am not talking about the 14+lbs of lead to get me down, I am talking about ALL of my gear AND both of my tanks - full tanks - and of course the 14+lbs of lead. I want to be able to carry all of this in one shot no matter how long the dock. I am anxious for the next time I am asked for my goals - I think it is a pretty good one, and original.

2. Dyeing - I recently learned how to dye yarn and roving. The technique I am experimenting with uses a crock pot to 'cook' the dye. It's a lot of fun and the end product is always a bit of a surprise. There are more controlled methods of dyeing, but I am really liking this one. So, if anyone has an old crock pot they don't want anymore - let me know.

(blue and green blend shown below - haven't named the colorway yet)


3. Pottery - After many years of wanting to do the pottery wheel, I am finally taking a class for it. I even found a buddy (Mariellen) who has also been wanting to learn. So far we have had only one class, but it's been fun. However, I don't think there is any danger of pottery replacing my fiber fetish. (will hopefully get some pics this week :)

4. Plans for a new blog - 'Fiber Fetish' - still in the works.

5. And lastly - my new fiber fetish - I think everyone has heard me gushing about my new little pixie wheel, but just in case, I am now the proud owner of a Louet Victoria spinning wheel. She is a travel wheel, so she folds up and fits in a little travel bag. I just finished my spinning class, and I am *hooked*. I am so excited to start making the yarn that I want.

(wheel and hand-spun shown below)

No comments:

Post a Comment